Thursday 21 January 2016

Vegan chilli

Thursday 21st January

It's been over a week now and I feel great. I've definitely got more energy and my general health is improving. Since the start of this challenge, I've been concentrating on the environmental effects of animal farming. Over the last few days, I've turned my attention to the animals themselves. I've been trying not to become the kind of vegan that makes others feel guilty. Apart from a couple of jokes aimed at meat eaters and I've tried my best to stay on the right side of annoying, but it can be hard. Especially when the reality is, every time we eat meat, we're eating an animal. That's the truth. We can justify it all we like, that's just the way it is. Now that I am half way through my challenge, I'm starting to wonder what I will do when it finishes. Will I stay a vegan? Will I become a vegetarian? Will I go back to meat?


Last weekend, I tried to find a way to eat my pre vegan favourites without meat. My most successful was a vegan chilli, using black beans and lentils and a little bit of vegan mince. I made it from scratch and made it fairly hot. I was delighted with the results, really tasty and packed full of goodness.


Alongside changing my diet I've joined a gym and I've been going three times a week. I also play sport two or three times a week with the school and I've noticed a big difference in my fitness levels. I've also noticed that after sport, I'm craving healthy food instead of fatty sugary stuff. I'm also drinking alot more water and eating ALOT of fruit. 

Whatever happens after this month, I will never see vegans as wimps or lacking in something. It's quite the opposite, I've never eaten as healthily as I have done in the last two weeks. 

One more thing, I used to drink up to two pints of milk a day. On my cereal, in my tea, and by the pint with biscuits. I now drink coconut milk and soya milk in my tea. I now only have 1 cup of tea a day. I don't miss milk at all. I just don't need it. Coconut milk on my granola has been the best part of this challenge. I highly recommend it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment